Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Black Vulture Invasion

Last week, our neighborhood was invaded by a group of black vultures.  They suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and we just couldn't figure out what they were doing here.  Last year, we saw a few of them, but this year, there's about 30 of them.  The found my neighbor's year very appealing, and decided to perch on their rooftop.  YUK!  They also were in the trees behind her house, right near the creek.  You could drive right by and hardly notice them at first until you were right near them, and there was a sea of black in the tree with not-so-nice looking faces glaring at you.  It was creepy and something you might see in a horror flick.  As you can see in the picture below, I captured about 17 of them on my neighbor's roof, and the remainder were scouting out in the trees.


Now they might not look so bad in the photo above, but these creatures are about 2' tall, and their wing span is about 4+ feet.  I was worried about the little bunnies that nest in the area, and unfortunately, I haven't seen them in a while.  Oh I hope they did not fall prey to these ugly creatures.  I just wish they would go away.

So do you want to see one up close?  Here you go ...



If you'd like to read more about them, here's the link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Vulture
You'll be as grossed out as I was.

So as of today, they are dwindling, or at least I should say, I don't see as many.  Maybe they're moving on, but not sure yet.  Another neighbor said he sees them in the early morning coming out of an abandoned barn not far from here, and they retreat there late in the evening.  Ewwww.

I hope I didn't gross you out too much.  I know it's nature, but we could sure do without them around here.




No comments:

Post a Comment